Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: car making noise

  1. #11
    Inactive Member reewinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok....so 2 weeks now of Super Unleaded and octane booster and HEET (someone thought maybe water in the fuel) and still the same noise. I now suspect it is an exhaust leak. That loud rattle that I used to hear only after I got to the top of the hill and would go away after a minute or so has now developed into an almost full time noise but without the intensity after the hill.
    The muffler vibrates back and forth slightly when idleing. I went underneath the car and the heat shield seems fine. I noticed a very small hole at the bottom of the muffler near the back of it about the size of a BB pellet. With the car running there is definately exhaust leaking from it.
    I wanted to get the exhaust replaced this weekend but with memorial day everyone was booked up until Tuesday. I am hoping that getting the exhaust redone will take care of it all.
    Any suggestions on mufflers? I have seen the bolt-on kits on ebay but am unsure of the quality of the "no name" brands and don't want to spend $500+ on Skunk or Greddy just for the name. I'll probably just end up going to Bucky's Automotive and have them redo it back to the cat.....Unless anyone knows a better place or other ideas.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Geo VP's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2001
    Posts
    1,092
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you like the quiet sound of a stock system and it was me I'd just go for a DOHC VTEC exhaust and replace the b-pipe (from the cat to the axle back) and then the axle back with the DOHC VTEC muffler. It's bigger then the SOHC VTEC and is made of stainless steel so no more problems with rust from the S, SI aluminum/mild steel exhaust (S,Si is 1 5/8 vers 2 inch on the DOHC VTEC and it fits to the stock cat on both the S and Si versions). Better then going with a aftermarket cat back (2 1/4-2 1/2 inch exhaust) (to big even for the DOHC VTEC for power in the mid range where you drive most of the time anyway) or from a shop that will weld the thing together so next time you have to replace the whole thing. O and it would cost less then a cat-back too.
    Just my thoughts and 2? on replacing it.

    Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

    banner38qx

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 04, 2006 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Geo 94 ]</font>

  3. #13
    Inactive Member reewinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So where would I find A DOHC VTEC muffler/b pipe? Do you mean new parts or used?
    So far I have liked the stock sound and don't want to end up with something that sounds like a kazoo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •